A commentary on the doings of Avery: the boss, Caleb: the muscle, Enzo: the peacemaker, and Sarah: the help.

30.9.09

Lazy Days at the Pool

Although the beach is beautiful and way fun, it is quite the mess with two children, since we take about half the sand home with us. So on most days we just go to the pool. Avery loves to swim. In the states I think I would hold off on putting Caleb in the pool, but it feels like torture to have him sitting in his car seat in the heat. I believe in Dominica it is a must. He enjoys it. . . I think. He is such a flexible baby it is hard to say what he doesn't like.

Thanks to my friend Liz, my children's lives will be documented, as she always has her camera. . .

We are starting to love it here. It is amazing to me because when we first arrived on the island all I could think about is when I get to go home. I would even go so far as to bump up the trips in my mind. For example, we will be going to Reno for Christmas on December 15th. I would think well maybe the kids and I could leave early and stay longer. I was trying to figure out how I could make the time pass.

Now I realize it is a short time and an amazing opportunity and experience! We are so lucky to be here. We are learning and growing.

In a weird way it has been a blessing for Jesse and I to move away from family. We miss them dearly, but it has been a chance to establish our own family. In the
initial shock of things I was considering, at least in my mind, going home for a semester. Staying in the states because life truly is hard here. The best way to describe it is, it is uncomfortable. Food is expensive, sweat is a constant companion, we don't have a car so we walk everywhere, people are different, Jesse is gone a lot, there are no malls, etc. Anyway, I finally realized that Jesse is my home. My home is not in Muncie with my parents, it's not in Reno where we had been living, it's not even in the United States. It is in Dominica with Jess. This is my home.

Oddly enough, it is beginning to feel like home. We are adjusting and loving it. We have wonderful friends. Most importantly, we have an opportunity to count our blessings. We create our own happiness. It is a gift given freely to anyone that seeks it.

11 comments:

  1. what an awesome post! great pics and totally true about taking advantage of the blessings we are given. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever blog title, saw it on Jacquelle's and figured it must be you guys! I can't believe you said you are not a good writer, that was so beautifully written and expressed my thoughts almost exactly except way better than I could have said it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah! Thank you for sharing those thoughts with us. That was beautiful and so true. What a lesson to learn!

    I'm sorry about the uncomfortable parts. I would hate sweating all the time, but I guess you can get to used to anything eventually.

    I'm way grateful to your friend for taking all of those pictures! I want some pictures of you, too, though.

    Avery and Caleb are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kelly is so right- I love your writing abilities- you post is so true- i teared up- and your children are beautiful! I am so so happy that you are here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah isn't it amazing how you can find a "home" anywhere, as long as there is family, and it's nice when there are a few friends too... but I found that in the Netherlands, I was sooo lonely, I usually saw no one all day until Devin came home from work, but I really loved it there.

    I'm so glad you are having this experience! I am so proud of you! Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that you can make your home anywhere as long as the people you love most are with you. I feel that way about Michigan. I'm glad you're enjoying your time there. It is good to take advantage of all that Dominika has to offer and enjoy it while you can. It is definitely a once in a lifetime experience that you will look upon highly I am sure later. Keep the posts coming! I love to know what's going on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The kids are so cute! We love you guys and think about you often. Oran was sad the last time we went to Grandma's house because Avery wasn't there. He loves looking at the pictures of Avery in the sand. He looks at them and just laughs.
    I am happy you are adjusting. I think that is always a challenge where ever you move.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful post, Sarah. It's really hard to be away from family...I struggled for a long time when I moved here to be with Kevin, and I still have my moments...but ultimately I learned the same thing you did. Home is where Kevin is, and soon, where our son will be, and that's the definition of happiness for me. We miss you guys, and think of you often. Love keeping up with you via your blog. Lots of love to all four of you - Avery and Caleb are getting so big and are beautiful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah, we wanted to catch up on how you and your family are doing and was really glad to read this post. I remember feeling the same about KY (crying for a couple of weeks and then loving it because Jared and I became closer) even if it isn't as far away or such a culture shock as Dominica! We wish you guys the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Post, I think it is normal to feel the way you did when you first arrived to the Island. I am glad you found your happiness here, you will enjoy your island life even more. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um, ditto. I totally agree. I learned this past month that home is where my Sean is. I just don't function well without him. I'm so glad you guys are here. Or will be again soon.

    ReplyDelete